Wide Area Network Centre
Wide Area Network Centre is a unit of the Bialystok University of Technology reporting directly to the Vice-Rector for Development which coordinates the construction of the BIAMAN Urban Computer Network and operates it.
The statutory task of the BIAMAN network is to provide network connectivity for the scientific community of the cities of Białystok and Białowieża. Since 20 December 1994, when the Rectors of six universities signed an agreement on building a computer network, BIAMAN has been integrating the academic information society.
The Wide Area Network Centre conducts telecommunications activities consisting in:
- operation of its own fibre optic data transmission network,
- provision of Internet access services,
- provision of data transmission services, including international data transmission,
- lease of telecommunication lines.
Apart from operating the BIAMAN network, the scope of operations of the Wide Area Network Centre includes:
- providing SSL certificates,
- providing opinions on the purchase of IT equipment for the University’s central administration,
- providing opinions on the purchase of servers for the needs of the University,
- providing opinions on the expansion of structured cabling for the needs of the central administration,
- supervising the central administration computer network,
- protection of central administration network nodes,
- logical protection of central administration network resources,
- administration of eduroam and guest access services,
- providing PlatonTV television services,
- providing videoconferencing services,
- providing electronic mail services,
- providing DNS services,
- ensuring communication for the needs of video monitoring of the Bialystok University of Technology,
- digital data archiving,
- providing file services in a private cloud,
- ensuring internal communication of the Bialystok University of Technology telephone services,
- providing Active Directory service for the central administration, including workstation management,
- providing maintenance of computer equipment in the central administration.